FanDuel continues to expand its operations. The bookmaker is now in a dozen states and it is preparing to launch in three others including New York. Sports bettors in the Empire State will be able to place mobile wagers at FanDuel early in 2022. It could even happen before the end of 2021.
We can’t be 100% sure of what to expect from FanDuel NY, but we have a good idea based on the bookmaker’s offerings in other states. This guide will tell New York sports betting fans all they need to know about FanDuel New York.
- About FanDuel
- Top FanDuel Takeaways for 2021
- FanDuel Bonuses
- FANDUEL SPORTSBOOK NY PROMO CODE: “SBNY1000”
- How does FanDuel’s risk free bet work?
- What do you need to create a FanDuel Sportsbook account?
- Payment Methods
- What withdrawal methods does FanDuel Sportsbook offer?
- Security & Licenses
- Sports Betting at FanDuel
- What bet types are available at FanDuel Sportsbook?
- FanDuel Odds Analysis
- FanDuel Live Betting
- FanDuel Sportsbook App Review
- FanDuel Sportsbook Website Experience
- Customer Service
- What states is FanDuel Sportsbook legal in?
- Where is FanDuel Sportsbook licensed?
- FanDuel vs. Draftkings app comparison: which is better?
- Final Thoughts
FanDuel launched in 2009, but it wasn’t a sportsbook in the beginning because sports betting was not yet legal in the United States. However, that all changed in 2018 when the United States Supreme Court reversed PASPA which opened the doors to legalized betting. FanDuel quickly merged with Paddy Power Betfair and under the FanDuel name, opened their first sportsbook at the Meadowlands in New Jersey. FanDuel has earned several industry awards such as being named Operator of the Year at the 2021 EGR North American Virtual Awards.
Top FanDuel Takeaways for 2021
- Sports and bets offered: No exaggeration, there are typically well over 100 bets to pick from for most sporting events at FanDuel. Additionaly, FanDuel offers free to play contests (for real money), PlayAction contests (unique to FanDuel), and Daily Fantasy Sports.
- FanDuel mobile app: The FanDuel app is one of the best in terms of navigation, appearance, and bet slip building and remains a SBNY favorite in 2021. Our biggest knock on the FanDuel Sportsbook mobile app is that sometimes loading times are slower than average, especially for casino games.
- Welcome bonus: FanDuel Sportsbook offers a risk-free bet up to $1,000. That’s an exceptional bonus when you compare it to risk-free bets at most other sportsbooks that are only good up to $250 or $500.
- Education: Although educational content can be hard to find, the quality is top-tier. Current education entails a sports betting glossary, a betting guide for beginners, and guides for top sports.
- Banking: Banking at FanDuel is safe and simple, deposit options include online bank transfer (ACH), debit/credit card, wire transfer, Play+ prepaid cards, PayPal, check, PayNearMe, and cash at certain casino cages.
New Yorkers will undoubtedly be able to claim a welcome bonus. Judging by the FanDuel welcome bonuses in other states, it appears that sports bettors in New York will be able to claim a risk-free bet up to $1,000. Again, this isn’t a certainty, but it’s a reasonable estimation.
You will obviously need to open a FanDuel NY account to take advantage of this offer. You can then make your first deposit and place your first wager. If that bet wins, then that’s the end of the bonus offer. Enjoy your winnings. However, if your qualifying bet is a dud, then FanDuel will refund the losing stake amount up to $1,000.
This refund is issued as a free bet that you can use on any live or pre-match wager. Any winnings from your free bet are yours to keep, but the free bet stake amount will not be included in the returns. So, if you use a $1,000 free bet on an event with even odds, and it’s a winner, you would earn a return of $1,000. Be advised that your free bet credit will appear in your account within 72 hours of settling the qualifying wager. Make sure to read the terms and conditions of this bonus when it is officially released.
FANDUEL SPORTSBOOK NY PROMO CODE: “SBNY1000”
The Fanduel NY promo code, “SBNY1000” will get you access to a 100% risk free bet of up to $1000. Place your first bet at FanDuel, if it wins collect your bet & winnings, if it loses, your account will credited with the free bet equaling the amount of the initial bet. To claim the Fanduel 100% risk free bet, input “SBNY1000” when prompted for the promo code
How does FanDuel’s risk free bet work?
FanDuel’s risk-free bet promotion makes your first bet after depositing money risk-free. If you win the bet the promotion is over and if you lose the bet the money is refunded to your account. With risk-free bets the one catch is that if you lose you have to bet the amount of money again (1x rollover) before you can withdraw it.
- If your first bet wins: The promotion is over, you won your first bet. The value in this promotion is that it allows you to bet more money than you typically would, because if you lose the money gets refunded. Instead of betting $50 on a game for your first bet, you could bet up to $500 or $1,000 comfortably, knowing the bet is risk-free.
- If your first bet loses: You will be refunded the full amount of the bet, up to $1,000. The only stipulation is that before you can withdraw that $1,000 you have to roll it over. This means you have to bet $1,000 before withdrawing any money. You can do this in any increments you please, which allows you to comfortably bet through the money before withdrawing it.
New Yorkers will be pleased with FanDuel’s regular promotions. The site offers a solid selection of free bets, risk-free bets, enhanced odds, and Parlay Insurance. No matter what sport you enjoy wagering on, FanDuel NY will have something special for you. Some of the most popular current FanDuel offers include:
- Risk-Free Same-Game Parlay: Get a Free Bet up to $10 if your NFL Same-Game Parlay with three or more legs loses.
- First Basket Fridays: Place a $25+ wager on First Basket Scorer in an NBA match and earn $1 in bonus cash for each three-pointer scored in the game.
- Bet $20, Get $10: Wager at least $20 on a college football parlay with four or more legs and you’ll receive a $10 free bet.
- NHL Parlay Insurance: Get up to $25 back every day with NHL Parlay Insurance. Wager an NHL parlay with 4 or more selections and get your stake back up to $25 if your parlay loses by a single leg.
- NFL Enhanced Odds: New members who bet $5 on select NFL games get +3000 odds.
What do you need to create a FanDuel Sportsbook account?
Creating a FanDuel Sportsbook account takes about five minutes and requires the following information:
- First and last name
- Date of birth
- Phone number
- Last four digits of your social security number
Although creating an account is quick and easy, you can test drive the app without creating an account. Just by downloading the app you can view the layout, promotions, sports and bets offered, and more. I recommend doing this to see if you like the user interface before actually creating an account.
Here are screenshots of everything you need to open a FanDuel Sportsbook account.
What you need to create an account at FanDuel Sportsbook
FanDuel makes the sports wagering experience even better by offering a good selection of safe and secure banking options. It doesn’t matter if you have a credit card, bank account, or just the cash in your pockets, FanDuel has a fast and convenient option for you.
- Online Bank Transfers – Available at almost every sportsbook, you can link your bank account to your sports betting account. Hundreds of banks are available to link to, so there’s a good chance you’ll be able to link a checking or savings account. Most sportsbooks use companies such as Plaid to provide incredibly safe bank transfers. We recommend this method over all alternatives, as online bank transfers are free, fast, and efficient.
- Debit/Credit Cards – Also readily available, you can use a debit or credit card to deposit money. Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and American Express are all typically accepted as card providers. Pro Tip – Don’t use your credit card if you don’t have the money. Betting on sports can be risky and you should only bet with money you are willing to lose.
- PayPal – PayPal is offered by a majority of sportsbooks. PayPal, a third-party payment processor, is a fast and secure way to send and receive money.
- Prepaid Gift Cards – If you are seeking a safe way to responsibly gamble with a pre-set amount of money, check out prepaid gift cards. Typically offered by Play+ these prepaid gift cards function as any normal gift card.
- Cash – You can also deposit and withdraw money by visiting the casino that the sports betting app is partnered with. For example, in Michigan, you can deposit and withdraw money to your FanDuel Sportsbook account at the Motor City Casino in Detroit.
- Play+ Card
- Online Banking
- Wire Transfer
|Total Deposit Methods||8|
|No Debit/Credit Card Deposit Fees||Yes|
|Deposit Min/Max – Debit/Credit Card||$10/Varies|
What withdrawal methods does FanDuel Sportsbook offer?
FanDuel Sportsbook currently processes withdrawals via check, online bank transfers, PayPal, Play+ prepaid cards, and cash at certain casinos.
FanDuel New York is expected to support a decent selection of withdrawal options. You can withdraw a minimum of $25 and expect to receive it within 2-10 days depending on which method you use. Check out the table below for details.
|Payment Method||Processing Time|
|Credit/Debit Card||3-5 Days|
|Online Banking||2-4 Days|
|PayPal||Up to 48 Hours|
|Play+ Card||Up to 48 Hours|
Security & Licenses
FanDuel has licenses in each state it operates in. This includes the Empire State where FanDuel received its license from the New York Gaming Commission on November 8, 2021. This provides New York residents with the highest levels of player protection.
FanDuel uses the most modern and effective security technology to keep you and your sensitive details secure. Members are protected by several layers of security such as SSL encryption, firewalls, and even an experienced security team.
Sports Betting at FanDuel
FanDuel NY will offer sports bettors in New York thousands of live and pre-match betting options every day. FanDuel’s betting menu features a lot more than mainstream sports like football, baseball, basketball, cricket, soccer, and hockey. You’ll find plenty of small-market sports including cycling, darts, and handball. Take note that eSports and specials like politics and entertainment aren’t on the menu because they are not legal options in New York. On the flip side, FanDuel serves up aces when it comes to college sports.
What bet types are available at FanDuel Sportsbook?
FanDuel Sportsbook has a superstore-sized inventory of sports and bets, with more than 100 bets on most games, including spreads, moneylines, totals, parlays, round-robins, futures, and props. FanDuel is also one of just two sportsbooks to offer daily fantasy sports, albeit on a separate app. (The other is DraftKings Sportsbook.) And then, there are FanDuel’s contests…
- Standard bet types: FanDuel offers all of the must common bet types including spread, moneyline, over/under (total), parlay, prop, future, and teaser bets. These bet types are featured at every sportsbook.
- PlayAction contests: PlayAction Contests allow users to win real money by betting virtual coins on the outcome of each play of live NFL games.
- Free-to-play contests: Like DraftKings, FanDuel hosts a ton of free contests where bettors predict the outcome of games. Real money is given out based on how well those predictions are.
- Daily fantasy sports: A cross between fantasy football and legalized gambling, players compete against their friends, or more often complete strangers to build a team of professional athletes under a given salary cap, and try and to outscore their opponents
Sports bettors love having so many wagering opportunities to choose from. A major event can present bettors with hundreds of unique wagers. Basketball bettors can wager on such things as:
- Player Points
- Player Rebounds
- Player Three-Pointers
- Winning Margin
- Alternative Spreads and Totals
Place a single bet, or spice things up by creating a parlay, combination bet, or teaser. You can even wager on a same-game parlay.
FanDuel Odds Analysis
FanDuel Sportsbook above-average odds: FanDuel offers good odds on NHL spread bets, NBA spread bets, and NCAAB moneyline bets. For comparison, if average NBA spread odds on a team are +130 at other sports betting sites, FanDuel might offer odds at +140. In this example, every dollar wagered would return $1.40 at FanDuel versus $1.30 at other sites.
FanDuel Sportsbook below-average odds: FanDuel offers below average odds on NCAAF moneyline bets, NFL spread bets, and NFL total bets. For comparison, if average NHL spread odds on a team are -110 at other sports betting sites, FanDuel might offer odds at -115. In this example, every dollar wagered would return $.87 at FanDuel versus $.91 at other sites.
FanDuel Live Betting
FanDuel Sportsbook is the Tesla of live betting: Pushing the boundaries of the status quo is in its DNA. The bells and whistles you’ll find at other top sportsbooks come standard. But then FanDuel ups the excitement by experimenting with new types of bets and features, giving users a glimpse of what live sports betting could be in the near future.
- Instant bets – FanDuel does a great job of offering instant bets for a variety of sports (E.g., betting on the next point of a tennis match or the next drive of an NFL game). Most exciting is FanDuel’s PlayAction contests (played with virtual coins for now) that I gushed about several paragraphs above. I predict that the feature could lead FanDuel to become the first sportsbook to offer live play-by-play betting for NFL games.
- Prop bets – Like BetMGM and DraftKings, FanDuel Sportsbook offers a wealth of live props. An example of a live prop bet is, “Will Baker Mayfield throw for over or under 204.5 total passing yards?”
- Live match tracker – FanDuel Sportsbook provides users a live match tracker for most live sports. A live match tracker is a graphic that has a live clock, displays the score by quarter, and even shows which team is attacking in real-time. FanDuel allows you to toggle the feature on and off, which I found useful when scrolling through different bets.
- Live streaming – FanDuel is one of just a handful of sportsbooks that streams live sports through its app. The offerings are limited, however, because of the high cost of broadcast licensing rights. That’s also the reason sports betting sites live stream international games and less popular sports such as tennis.
FanDuel Sportsbook App Review
The FanDuel Sportsbook app, available for iOS and Android devices, remains a SBNY favorite in 2021 due to its layout, quick responsiveness, and ease of use.
FanDuel Sportsbook app pros: I find the FanDuel Sportsbook app one of the easiest apps to use. It gets a lot of the seemingly small details right. For example, when you select a bet, I like that you can instantly bet on it or add it to your bet slip for later. Subtle, I know, but some sportsbooks don’t give you that flexibility. Scrolling through types of bets for a game is also a breeze, with each bet type listed at the top of the menu.
FanDuel Sportsbook app cons: My only navigation gripe is that contacting customer support takes you out of the mobile app and over to the FanDuel website. Annoying. I’d like to see FanDuel integrate support into the mobile app.
FanDuel Sportsbook App
FanDuel Sportsbook Website Experience
Using the FanDuel website instead of the app is a seamless experience. The website mirrors the app so finding the games and bets you’re looking for feels familiar. The only noticeable disadvantage to using the website instead of the app is there appear to be more geo-verification issues. Both the app and the website use geo-technology to verify what state you’re in, and for whatever reason the website has a harder time verifying my location.
For FanDuel members, help is just a click or two away. New Yorkers can expect FanDuel to offer 24/7 support. Using the live chat function will get you a polite and helpful customer service rep within seconds. You’ll also have the option to fill out a Help Request or send an email. Don’t forget to check out FanDuel’s FAQ for the solutions to the most common issues.
|Live Chat Support||Yes|
|Live Chat Support Availability||Yes|
|Email Support Speed||Yes|
What states is FanDuel Sportsbook legal in?
FanDuel Sportsbook is available online in the following states:
- New Jersey
- West Virginia
Casino: Of the states FanDuel Sportsbook operates in, Michigan, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and West Virginia have legalized online casino games.
Where is FanDuel Sportsbook licensed?
FanDuel Sportsbook is licensed in the following states: Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia. Here’s where FanDuel obtained its license from in each state:
- Colorado: Golden Gates Casino
- Illinois: Fairmount Park
- Indiana: Blue Chip Casino
- Iowa: Diamond Jo Casino
- Michigan: Motor City Casino
- New Jersey: Meadowlands racetrack
- Pennsylvania: Valley Forge Casino
- Tennessee: Tennessee Lottery
- West Virginia: Greenbrier Casino
- Virginia: Virginia Lottery
FanDuel vs. Draftkings app comparison: which is better?
I prefer DraftKings Sportsbook over FanDuel because the mobile app is smoother, there are more ongoing promotions and I like utilizing the stats hub. That said, I do enjoy FanDuel’s live betting, new customer welcome bonus and odds over DraftKings.
Why choose FanDuel over DraftKings: FanDuel offers better odds, a more immersive live betting experience (including unique contests), and a more lucrative welcome promotion. Both apps have a ton of great day-to-day promotions.
Why choose DraftKings over FanDuel: DraftKings offers pre-game statistics, better education, faster loading times, and a wider variety of bets. Both apps have a ton of great day-to-day promotions.
Sports bettors in New York can expect a lot out of FanDuel when it launches. This is an operator that has earned a stellar reputation throughout the United States in a relatively short time. FanDuel has fair odds and they give bettors a huge variety of sports and betting markets to choose from. While not everyone will be thrilled with the welcome bonus, they should be quite pleased with the range of regular promotions.
Finally, FanDuel has been expanding its live streaming offerings. There’s a good chance that FanDuel will offer this feature to the New York sports betting market. This single feature would go a long way in making FanDuel a top destination for New York bettors.